The Braham Board of Education has adopted a policy regarding the collection, protection and privacy of student records. This policy is consistent with state and federal statutes which guarantee parents a
nd students access to student education record information andcontrol over the release of the information to others.
Each building principal is responsible for maintaining and securing privacy and/or confidentiality of student records. Student records may be reviewed only with the written permission of the parent or the student (if the student is 18 years of age or older) except under the following circumstances:
* When the school officials have a legitimate educational interest in the student's records.
* When the student records are forwarded to other schools or post secondary education institutions to which the student transfers, applies for admission, or enrolls.
* When the student's records are in connection with financial aid for which the student has applied or received.
* To federal, state and local authorities when such information is specifically required by law.
The school district may release what is termed as student "Directory Information" which includes the following student information: student's name; address; telephone number; electronic mail address; photography; birth date and place; major field of study; dates of attendance; grade level; enrollment status; participation in officially recognized activities and sports; weight and height of members of athletic teams; degrees, honors and awards received; most recent educational agency or institution attended by the student; and other similar information. “Directory Information” also includes the name, address, and telephone number of the student’s parent(s). “Directory Information” does not include identifying information on a student’s religion, race, color, social position or nationality.
If any parent, guardian or student (18 years or older) does not want this information to be released without prior written consent, they may notify, in writing, the superintendent's office.
The following information must be included:
1. Name of student and parent;
2. Home address;
3. School presently attended by student;
4. Parents legal relationship to student;
5. Specific categories of directory information that is not to be made public without parent's prior written consent.